Family traditions

Family traditions

Saturday, July 12, 2008

I love girls camp

So two weeks before girls camp I was called to be the director. (The previous director moved at the end of May). I was way excited for the opportunity seeing how I love girls camp!! LOVE IT! And I was also way excited that I was able to put my own twist on what was all ready planned.

So here is My Top Ten list (please do not compare to Janelle’s list it just wouldn’t be right)


1.Saying good-bye- not to the girls but to big sister and handsome, they didn’t even flinch as I gave big hugs good bye on Tuesday morning, I was almost in tears but I sucked it up and they really did have great week hanging out with dad!


2. Mosquitoes-I evidently didn’t eat enough garlic before leaving town because regardless of the insane amount of bug spray that drenched all of our clothing not one of us was immune to the blood suckers.

3. Singing- I was told in the past that there really wasn’t a lot of singing at girls camp, so I worked to put an end to that and the girls loved it. Georgie, boom chicka boom, Lemie and many many more.

4. Being in charge- anyone who knows me knows that I like to put my ideas out there and it’s even better when they come to light

5. Hiking- because there were only 6 girls who needed to hike we decided it would be better to go on one hike all together. So we hiked to Heart Lake. By the end of the hike our bishop had been given the endearing nick name of the hiking Hitler.



6. Freezing nights- literally it froze everything from the water to the dish soap!! And because of a good friend (Wendy) I had a sleeping bag. It was a lot colder in the Idaho Mountains then in the California Mountains.

7. Swimming- we went swimming at Alturas lake I floated out in the lake on my little floating raft, while laying back and relaxing the wind picked up and waves were crashing over the top of the raft. I eventually made it back to the shore but not until falling off of my little raft and fighting the crazy white caps!!


8. Last meal-after three days of okay meals for camping and not really enough food to fill a tummy, we woke up the morning before we left expecting to eat muffins and apples and were given a feast of pancakes, and potatoes!! So yummy!!!


9. Nightly devotionals, and personal scripture study-these were new to Shoshone’s girls camp but really amazing to see the girls reading, learning, and sharing what they had found.

10. The girls- 13 amazing girls who reminded me that girls camp is amazing, friendships can continue to grow, never give up, move forward in faith, and we can do anything with the help of the Lord.

I’m certain I left something out but well that’s 10!

7 other thoughts:

Sarah McM said...

Wow, De, it sounds like you had a big influence on this camp and they'll never think of it in the same way. Although, I think it's impossible to go to Girl's Camp with you and not come back a different person (for better or worse!!) :-)

Unknown said...

sounds like it was a lot of fun!

So... you had 12 girls at girls camp? Or was it 12 girls in your ward's unit? It looks like you guys got a lot of great girls-campy stuff done.

the nice one said...

we had 13 girls altogether it was a ward camp so all 13 live here in shoshone. most of the other wards in our stake forwent girls camp this summer because of the temple celebration and all that it is demanding from the youth already. i'm so glad that we still went to camp!!

Christiansen Horde said...

So you get ice/cold -- in Iowa, our girls get thunderstorms, lightning and lots of rain.

PS: what's with the curly-do?

the nice one said...

the do is from the 20 little braids i sported all week long. big sister wanted them in her hair too so i might just post a picture of her crazy hair sometime soon!

Janelle said...

i'm so glad you had such a good time. can't you hardly wait to go back next year!?! ;)

H & C said...

oh denice! i'm so glad you had a wonderful time at girls camp! i loved the list of top ten. you were positive about the whole calling and now look how much were able to enjoy because of your attitude! you're a great example.